Web Directories, Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
What's a Bot?
In short: A bot is a software tool for digging through data. You give a bot directions and it bring back answers.
The word is short for robot of course, which is derived from the Czech word robota meaning work.
The idea of robots as humanoid machines was first introduced in Karel Capek's 1921 play "R.U.R.," where the playwright conceived Rossum's Universal Robots. Sci-fi writer Isaac Asimov made them famous, beginning with his story I, Robot (1950) and continuing through a string of books known as the Robot Series (see the Isaac Asimov FAQ - for more details including "The Three Laws of Robotics").
Easily Amused dot com
Welcome o' yee of short attention span. Presented here is a collected
list of web sites which I found amusing. Although my opinion will vary
greatly from yours I hope that you find the majority of these sites at
least worth the mouse click to access them.
Wikipedia A.L.I.C.E. (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer
Entity) is an award-winning natural language processing chatterbot . a
program that engages in a conversation with a human by applying some
heuristical pattern matching rules to the human's input. It was
inspired by Joseph Weizenbaum's classical ELIZA program but takes a
quite different approach. It is one of the strongest programs of its
type and has won the Loebner Prize three times (in 2000, 2001 and
Agentland.com Alice (Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity)
is a natural language interface to a telerobot eye. Alice tries
ironically to be a computer, so her replies may make some sense but in
reality Alice is nothing more than a gigantic pattern-matching
case-statement. Remarkably however this elaborate hoax has produced
some of the most convincing natural conversations between computer andx
humans yet observed.
- Open Directory Chatterbots: ALICE Computers: Artificial Intelligence: Natural Language: Chatterbots: ALICE
AAAI AI Ethics
Any sci-fi buff knows that when computers become self-aware, they ultimately destroy their creators. From 2001: A Space Odyssey to Terminator, the message is clear: The only good self-aware machine is an unplugged one. We may soon find out whether that's true. ... But what about HAL 9000 and the other fictional computers that have run amok?
- American Association for Artificial Intelligence A.I. topics -- Natural Language The value to our society of being able to communicate with computers in everyday "natural" language cannot be overstated. Imagine asking your computer "Does this candidate have a good record on the environment?" or "When is the next televised National League baseball game?" Or being able to tell your PC "Please format my homework the way my English professor likes it".
- American Association for Artificial Intelligence A.I. topics -- The Turing Test Alan Turing proposed an operational test of intelligence as a replacement for the philosophical question, "Can machines think?" Variations of this test have been used to assess performance levels of many AI programs. A restricted adaptation of the Turing Test popularized by the Loebner Competition has been fun, although currently many AI scientists criticize the restricted version of the test because it does not provide insights into the mechanisms of thought.
- www.cs.um.edu.mt/~mros/nlp/ NLP Resource Page
AI & Other Minds by Larry Hauser.
- www.faqs.org/faqs/ai-faq/general/part6/ Artificial Intelligence FAQ: Open Source AI Software "Chatbots: AI: There is a much maligned chatbot at the Warner Brothers page on the AI movie."
- Sitereview.org A.L.I.C.E is an "Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity" capable of intelligent conversation. She will amaze you with her ability to come up with a relevant response to just about anything! If I didn't know better, I'd think she was human.
- You can become a Botmaster A chat robot is a program that attempts to simulate the conversation or "chat" of a human being. The Chat robot "Eliza" was a well-known early attempt at creating programs that could at least temporarily fool a real human being into thinking they were talking to another person. It is a kind of artificial intelligence.
- Micromegas IA / AI programmes/langages ALICE - Open source natural language artificial intelligence chat robot
Copyright © A.L.I.C.E. AI Foundation, Inc.